Place:


Preston Bissett  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Bissett like this:

PRESTON-BISSET, a village and a parish in the district and county of Buckingham. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ouse, 1¼ mile from the boundary with Oxfordshire, and 3½ S S W of Buckingham r. station; and has a post-office under Buckingham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cowley, and comprises 1, 940 acres. ...


Real property, £3,008. Pop. in 1851, 554; in 1861, 469. Houses, 110. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £457.* Patron, the Rev. J. S. Bolden. The church is decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains double sedilia and three piscinæ. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £5.

Preston Bissett through time

Preston Bissett is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston Bissett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Bissett, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6035

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston Bissett ".