Place:


Boughton under Blean  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boughton under Blean like this:

BOUGHTON-UNDER-BLEAN, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Faversham district, Kent. The village stands on the edge of Blean forest, 3 ½ miles SE of Faversham r. station; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Broughton, under Faversham, and a fair on the Monday after 29 June.—The parish comprises 2,353 acres. ...


Real property, £8,904. Pop., 1,624. Houses, 323. The property is subdivided. Nash Court, then held by the Hawkinses, who were Roman Catholics, was demolished by a mob in 1715, and rebuilt in 1766. Boughton House is the seat of the Laggs. Boughton Hill, adjacent to the village, commands an extensive and brilliant view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church comprises nave, aisle, three chancels, and a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £74.-The hundred is in the lathe of Scray; and comprises four parishes. Acres, 11,354. Pop., 2,930. Houses. 581.

Boughton under Blean through time

Boughton under Blean is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boughton under Blean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boughton under Blean, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5912

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boughton under Blean ".