Place:


Waltham Holy Cross  Essex

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Waltham Holy Cross like this:

Waltham Abbey (or Waltham Holy Cross), market town and par., Essex, in W. of co., on left bank of river Lea, 1 mile E. of Waltham Cross sta. and 13 miles N. of Liverpool Street sta., London, 11,017 ac., pop. 5368; P.O., T.O., and P.O. at Waltham New Town; 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. ...


Waltham Abbey has mfrs. of gunpowder and percussion caps, artificial flowers, &c. Of the old abbey, which originated in a church founded by the standard-bearer of Canute, made collegiate in 1062 by Harold, and converted into a mitred Augustinian abbey in 1177 by Henry II., the nave of the church (now the parish church) and the lady chapel remain.

Waltham Holy Cross through time

Waltham Holy Cross is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Waltham Holy Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Waltham Holy Cross, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/588

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Waltham Holy Cross ".