In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbots Langley like this:
ABBOTS-LANGLEY, a parish and a subdistrict in Watford district, Herts. The parish lies on the Grand junction canal and the Northwestern railway, 1 mile SE of King's Langley station; and has a post office under Watford. Acres, 5,213. Real property, £13,033. Pop., 2,400. Houses, 520. The property is subdivided. A coin of Clandins was found at Langley-House. The par ish gave birth to Nicholas de Breakspear, Pope Adrian IV.; and was given to the abbots of St. Albans " to find them in clothes." Here is the Booksellers' Provident Retreat. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £315. Patron, W. Jones Lloyd, Esq. The church is Partly Norman, partly of later date; and contains an ancient font and some handsome monuments. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and extensive paper-mills.-The subdistrict is co-extensive with the parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Abbots Langley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Three Rivers. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Abbots Langley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbots Langley, in Three Rivers and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Abbots Langley".