Place:


Southill  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southill like this:

SOUTHILL, or South-Hill, a township and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The township lies adjacent to the Midland railway, 3¼ miles SW of Biggleswade; contains a village of its own name; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Biggleswade. Real property, £3,890. ...


Pop., 619. Houses, 122. The parish contains also the hamlets of Broom and Stanford, and comprises 6,180 acres. Pop., 1,391. Houses, 291. The manor belongs to Lord Ongley. S. Park belonged formerly to Lord Torrington, and belongs now to W. H. Whitbread, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with Old Warden, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £384.* Patron, W. H. Whitbread, Esq. The church is ancient. There are a Baptist chapel and a free school.

Southill through time

Southill is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southill in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5835

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southill ".