In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elvaston like this:
ELVASTON, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Derby canal, and the Derby and Leicester railway, near Borrowash r. station, and 4½ miles SE by E of Derby. Post town, Alvaston, under Derby. Acres, 2, 760. Real property, £5, 700. Pop., 499. Houses, 114. The manor belonged to the Blunts and the Poles; and passed to the Stanhopes. Elvaston Castle is the seat of the Earl of Harrington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £350. Patron, the Earl of Harrington. The church is ancient; has a pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Stanhopes. Charities, £148.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Elvaston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Elvaston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elvaston in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elvaston".