Place:


Inwardleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Inwardleigh like this:

INWARDLEIGH, a village and a parish in Okehampton district, Devon. The village stands on a beadstream of the river Torridge, 3½ miles NNW of Okehampton r. station; was formerly called Ingerley; and is a scattered place. The parish comprises 6, 281 acres. Post town, Hatherleigh, North Devon. ...


Real property, £2, 831. Pop., 635. Houses, 125. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, till the time of Edward III., to the Coffin family; and belongs now to Lord Portman. A handsome mansion and a deer park of the Coffins were once here, but have disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £277. * Patrons, Trustees. The Church is ancient; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and has a tower, which was shattered by lightning about 1817. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, a free school, and charities £4 4s.

Inwardleigh through time

Inwardleigh is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inwardleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inwardleigh in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5560

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inwardleigh ".