Place:


Woodbury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodbury like this:

WOODBURY, a village, a parish, and a sub district, in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands 2 miles ENE of Woodbury-Road r. station, and 3 ESE of Topsham; was once a market-town; is now a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office‡ under Exeter, an inn, and a fair on 3 May.—The parish includes six hamlets, and most of Woodbury-Salterton chapelry; and extends to the river Exe. ...


Acres, 7,804; of which 500 are water. Real property, £9,869. Pop., 1,966. Houses, 411. The manor belongs to the Hon. Mark Rolle. There are many fine residences. Nutwell Court was a castle till about the time of Edward IV., and was then converted into a handsome mansion by Lord Dinham. An ancient camp, successively British, Roman, Saxon, and Danish, is on W. Common; and a considerable camp, with a park of artillery, was there , to resist the threatened French invasion, in 1798 and 1803. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £177. Patrons, the Vicars Choral of E. The church is ancient. The curacy of W.-Salterton is a separate benefice. There are a free church, a Unitarian chapel, an endowed school, a national school, and charities £51.—The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 15,142. Pop., 3,916. Houses, 811.

Woodbury through time

Woodbury is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodbury in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5512

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodbury ".