Place:


Haddiscoe  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haddiscoe like this:

HADDISCOE, a village and a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk. The village stands near the East Suffolk and the Lowestoft railways, and near the river Waveney and the boundary with Suffolk, 5 miles N by E of Beccles; and has a station on the Lowestoft railway, and a post office under Norwich. The parish comprises 2, 071 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 057. Pop., 355. Houses, 81. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to H. S. Grimmer, Esq.; and the manor house is pleasantly situated, and commands fine views. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of MonksToft, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £500.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church stands on a rising. ground; is ancient, battlemented, and very good; and has a Norman south door, an apsidal chapel, and a round five storey tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and town lands £50. A preceptory of Knights Templars was here in the time of Henry III.; and a bridge, called St. Olave's, was built over the Waveney by Dame Hobart, in the time of Henry VII., and rebuilt in 1770, and in 1848.

Haddiscoe through time

Haddiscoe is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haddiscoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haddiscoe in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5473

Date accessed: 20th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haddiscoe ".