Place:


Bobbing  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bobbing like this:

BOBBING, a parish in Milton district, Kent; 1¼ mile W by N of Milton, and 2 NW of Sittingbourne r. station. Post Town, Milton, under Sittingbourne. Acres, 1,071. Real property, £2,720. Pop., 449. Houses, 83. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Savages, and afterwards to the Cliffords. ...


Bobbing Court, the seat of the Savages, is now a ruin. Bobbing Street, about a mile NE of the church, is on a branch of Watling-street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £96. Patron, the Rev. G. Simpson. The church is ancient and good; has a tower and spire; and contains a piscina and monuments of the Savages and the Tuftons. Titus Oates was vicar.

Bobbing through time

Bobbing is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bobbing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bobbing, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5378

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bobbing ".