Place:


Pyrford  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pyrford like this:

PYRFORD, or Pirford, a parish in Chertsey district, Surrey; on the river Wey, 2½ miles E by S of Woking r.station, and 6½ N N E of Guild ford. It contains a village of its own name; and has a post-office, of the name of Pyrford-Green, under Woking Station. Acres, 1,868. Real property, £2, 108. ...


Pop., 381. Houses, 6 4. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given, by William the Conqueror, to the church of Westminster; went, at the Reformation, to the Crown; was given, by Elizabeth, to Sir John Wolley; and belongs now to Earl Onslow. A mansion was built here by Sir John Wolley; was long the residence of Dr. Donne; and has been taken down. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wisley, in the diocese of Winchester. The church includes some Norman and decorated portions, and has a low wooden spire.

Pyrford through time

Pyrford is now part of Woking district. Click here for graphs and data of how Woking has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pyrford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pyrford, in Woking and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5332

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pyrford ".