Place:


Ickburgh  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ickburgh like this:

IGBOROUGH, or ICKBOROUGH, a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk; on the river Wissey and on Icknieldstreet, 1½ mile NE of Mundford, and 6 NNE of Brandon r. station. Post town, Mundford, under Brandon. Acres, 1, 599. Real property, £934. Pop., 192. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to Lord Ashburton and W. A. T. Amhnrst, Esq. A Roman milestone, pavement, and urns have been found. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Langford, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is early English; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities £9.

Ickburgh through time

Ickburgh is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ickburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ickburgh, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5121

Date accessed: 11th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ickburgh ".