Place:


Isleham  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Isleham like this:

ISLEHAM, a village and a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge. The village stands near the river Lark and the boundary with Suffolk, 3½ miles E of Soham, and 7½ N of Newmarket r. station; and has a postoffice under Soham. The parish comprises 5, 211 acres. Real property, £10, 696. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2, 236; in 1861, 1, 925. Houses, 448. The property is subdivided. Limestone is extensively worked and exported. A priory, a cell to St. Jagitto or Jacutus in Brittany, was founded here before 1219, and removed to Linton in 1254. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £496.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is decorated English, with a rebuilt Norman tower; comprises nave, aisles, transept, and porch; and was restored in 1865. There are two Baptist chapels, a Primitive Metliodist chapel, a national school, and charities £209.

Isleham through time

Isleham is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Isleham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Isleham in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5085

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Isleham ".