In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Betws Ifan like this:
BETTWS-EVAN, or Bettws-Jeuvan, a hamlet and a parish in Newcastle-in-Emlyn district, Cardigan. The hamlet stands on elevated ground, midway between Cardigan bay and the river Teifi, 5 miles N by W of Newcastle-in-Emlyn r. station. The parish includes also the hamlet of Llynnchel; and its Post Town is Newcastle-in-Emlyn, under Carmarthen. Acres, 2,6 40. Real property, £1,537. Pop., 419. Houses, 101. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Penbryn, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Betws Ifan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Betws Ifan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Betws Ifan, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Betws Ifan".