Place:


Lymington  Hampshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lymington like this:

Lymington.-- mun. bor., seaport, market town, par., and liberty (ry. stations Lymington and Lymington Pier), Hants, 20 m. SW. of Southampton and 94 from London by rail - town and par., 1515 ac. (22 water) and 730 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 4366; mun. bor. and liberty, 141 ac., pop. 2410; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. ...


Market-day, Saturday. Domesday Book mentions the place under the name of Lentune. The town is situated on the left bank of the river Lymington, and is convenient for the purposes of maritime traffic. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Salt, timber, and bricks are exported, but lately the trade has declined to a considerable extent. Lymington returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.

Lymington through time

Lymington is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lymington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lymington, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/50

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lymington ".