Place:


Llandderfel  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandderfel like this:

LLANDDERFEL, a township and a parish in Bala district, Merioneth. The township lies on the river Dee, near the Bala and Corwen railway, which was in course of formation in 1866,3¼ miles ENE of Bala; and has a post office under Corwen, and fairs on 17 Aug. and 16 Oct. The parish contains also the townships of Caergeliog, Crogen, Cynlas, Doldrewyn, Llaithgwm, Nantfrayer, and Selwrn. ...


Acres, 7,794. Rated property, £3,869. Pop., 948. Houses, 199. The property is diVided among a few. The Dee here is overhung by the Berwyn mountains, and is crossed by a bridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £260.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Dervel Gadarn; is good later English, of the time of Henry VIII.; contains a remarkably good screen; contains also the reputed staff of its patron saint, and a curious recumbent wooden horse, called St. Dervel's horse; and once contained a huge wooden image of the saint, which was sent for at the condemnation of Dr. Forest in 1538, and placed under him as fuel when he was burned in Smithfield.

Llandderfel through time

Llandderfel is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llandderfel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandderfel, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4959

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llandderfel ".