Place:


Marystow  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marystow like this:

MARYSTOW, or STOW-ST. MARY, a village and a parish in Tavistock district, Devon. The village stands near the river Lyd and near Coryton r. station, 6½ miles NNW of Tavistock; and is irregularly built. 'T he parish contains also the hamlets of Cholwell and Dipperton, and part of the village of Lew-Down, which has a postoffice, of the name of Lew-Down, North Devon. ...


Acres, 2,895. Real property, £4,173. Pop. in 1851,570; in 1861,448. Houses, 90. The decrease of pop. was caused by lessened demand for labour in manganese mines, by junction of farms, and by introduction of agricultural machinery. The manor belongs to J. H. Tremayne, Esq. Sydenham House was erected in the early part of the 17th century, by Sir Thomas Wise; was garrisoned for Charles I., and taken in 1645 by Col. Holbourn; and belongs now to J. H. Tremayne, Esq. Marystow House is the seat of Sir Massey Lopes, Bart. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Thrushelton, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £276.* Patron, J. H. Tremayne, Esq. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and side chapel; and contains two stone stalls, an old stone font, a beautiful carved screen, and several monuments to the Wises and other families. There are a national school, and charities £219.

Marystow through time

Marystow is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marystow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marystow in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4868

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marystow ".