Place:


Southwick  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southwick like this:

SOUTHWICK, a parish, with a village, in Fareham district, Hants; 2½ miles N of Porchester r. station, and 3¾ ENE of Fareham. It has a post-office under Fareham, and a fair on 6 April. Acres, 4,100. Real property, £4,541. Pop., 609. Houses, 123. The manor, with S. Park, belongs to T. Thistlethwayte, Esq. A black friary stood anciently here; was the marriage-place of Henry VI.; went, at the dissolution, to the Whites; and has left some scanty ruins. The living is a donative, annexed to Boarhunt. There is a national school.

Southwick through time

Southwick is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southwick, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4775

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southwick ".