Place:


Southgate  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southgate like this:

SOUTHGATE, a village and a chapelry in Edmonton parish, Middlesex. The village stands near the Great Northern railway, 8 miles N of St. Paul's, London; took its name from having been a south gate to Enfield chase; and has a post-office‡ under London N, a r. station, and a police station. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1851-Pop., 2,226. Houses, 433. S. House is the seat of Sir J. L. M. Lawrence, Bart.; Arno's Grove, of J. Walker, Esq., and there are several other good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £210. Patron, the Vicar of Edmonton. The church was built in 1862. There are an Independent chapel, Church schools, and a British school.

Southgate through time

Southgate is now part of Enfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Enfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southgate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southgate, in Enfield and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/475

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southgate ".