Place:


Heckingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heckingham like this:

HECKINGHAM, a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; on an affluent of the river Yare, 2 miles E of Loddon, and 3½ SW by W of Reedham r. station. Post town, Loddon, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 102. Real property, £1, 623. Pop., 317. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. Heckingham Hall is a chief residence. ...


Loddon workhouse, which can admit 600 inmates, but had only 162 at the Census of 1861, is here. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Hales, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient but good; and has a circular tower, surmounted by an octagonal turret. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £5.

Heckingham through time

Heckingham is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heckingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heckingham in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4666

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heckingham ".