Place:


Hildersham  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hildersham like this:

HILDERSHAM, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on the river Granta, near the Newmarket railway, 2 miles NE of Linton; and has a post office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 1, 499 acres. Real property, £2, 106. Pop., 227. Houses, 51. The manor belonged formerly to the De Veres, Earls of Oxford; and belongs now to F. ...


Huddleston, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £288. * Patron, the Rev. R. Goodwin. The church is ancient; recently underwent extensive alterations; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. Matthew Paris, the chronicler, is supposed to have been a native.

Hildersham through time

Hildersham is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hildersham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hildersham in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4622

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hildersham ".