Place:


Llaneilian Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llaneilian like this:

LLANELIAN, a village and a parish in the district and county of Anglesey. The village stands on the coast, ¾ of a mile SW of Point-Ælianus, commonly called Point Lynas, and 2 E of Amlwch r. station. The parish comprises 2,398 acres; and its Post town is Amlwch, Anglesey. Real property, £2,033. Pop. in 1851,1,295; in 1861,1,282. Houses, 318. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the Parys copper mine. A lighthouse stands on Point Lynas; and a signal station which, prior to the time of electo-telegraphing, had one of the semaphores in the line of communication between Holyhead and Liverpool, stands on a considerable ascent about ¼ a mile from the lighthouse. ...


A palace of Caswallon Lawhîr, who flouris.hed about 443, stood on the same eminence as the signal station. A spring, called Ffynnon-Eilian, was formerly a resort of pilgrims, and held in much superstitions veneration. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelries of Coedanna and Rhosbeirio, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £400. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Eilian or Hilary; occupies the site of one erected in the 5th century; is early English, in good condition, with a steeple; and con tains a screen and stalls. An old chapel adjoins the church; measures 15 feet by 12; contains a wooden altar of the 15th century; and is, or lately was, the scene of an annual wake on the first Friday of Aug. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £20.

Llaneilian through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llaneilian has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of the Isle of Anglesey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llaneilian and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llaneilian in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4461

Date accessed: 16th September 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llaneilian".