Place:


Bridgwater  Somerset

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bridgwater like this:

Bridgwater, par., mun. bor., and seaport, W. Somerset, on river Parret, 12 miles from the Bristol Channel, 28½ SW. of Bristol, and 152 SW. of London by rail -- par., 3539 ac., pop. 12,704; bor., 705 ac., pop. 12,007; 3 banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Wednesday. B. is built on both sides of the river, which is navigable to the town for vessels of 700 tons, but is subject to a bore or tidal wave. ...


The imports are-- coal, grain, nemp, talow, limber, wine, &c.; exports -- earthenware, bath-bricks, cement, and plaster of Paris, which constitute the staple trade of the town. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) B. was originally called Brugge or Burgh Walter, from the Norman baron to whom the manor was given at the Conquest. The castle, built in the reign of Henry II., was almost completely demolished during the Civil War. Admiral Blake (1599-1657) was a native.

Bridgwater through time

Bridgwater is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bridgwater itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridgwater, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/436

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bridgwater ".