Place:


Puttenham  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Puttenham like this:

PUTTENHAM, a village and a parish in Farnborough district, Surrey. The village stands under Hogsbackhill, 4 miles W by S of Guild ford r. station; and has a post-office under Guild ford. The parish comprises 1,800 acres. Real property, £2, 191. Pop., 402. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. ...


P. Priory House belonged formerly to the priory of Newark, and is now the seat of R. Sumner, Esq. The parish is traversed by the Pilgrim's way, from Winchester to Canterbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £279.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is transition Norman; was recently restored, at a cost of £1, 400; and has a tower, formerly surmounted by a spire, burned down in 1736. There are a national school and charities £10.

Puttenham through time

Puttenham is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Puttenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Puttenham, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4343

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Puttenham ".