Place:


Little Torrington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Torrington like this:

TORRINGTON (Little), a parish, with two villages, in Torrington district, Devon; 2 miles S of Great Torrington. Acres, 2,880. Real property, £3,345. Pop., 563. Houses, 120. The property is much subdivided. Cross House is the seat of Sir T. wheler, Bart. A bridge over the river Torridge, at Taddyport village, connects the parish with Great Torrington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £397. Patrons, the Heirs of Lord Rolle and others. The church is ancient but good. Charities, £48.

Little Torrington through time

Little Torrington is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Torrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Torrington, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4335

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Torrington ".