Place:


Llanwarne  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanwarne like this:

LLANWARNE, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on an affluent of the river Wye, 4½ miles SE of TramInn r. station, and 6½ NW by W of Ross. It has a post office under Ross. Acres, 2,469. Real property, £1,043. Pop., 383. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir H. ...


Hoskyns, Bart.; and most of the land, to the Rev. D. Capper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rev. W. B. Mynors. The old church was a fine specimen of Saxon; consisted of nave, aisles, and chancel, with finely embattled tower; and contained many monuments and tablets; and the tower of it still stands. The new church was built in 1864, at a cost of £2,560; is in the decorated English style and cruciform, of local stone with Bath stone dressings; and has window tracery of Painswick stone. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £4.

Llanwarne through time

Llanwarne is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanwarne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanwarne in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4232

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanwarne ".