Place:


Norbury  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norbury like this:

NORBURY, a village and a parish in the district of Uttoxeter and county of Derby. The village stands on the river Dove, and on the Ashborne branch of the North Staffordshire railway, at the boundary with Staffordshire, 5 miles S W of Ashborne; and has a station on the railway . The parish contains also the hamlet of Roston; and its post town is Ashborne. ...


Acres, 2, 242. Real property, £4, 199. Pop., 476. Houses, 100. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to B. Fitzherbert, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Snelston, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev.F. Broughton. The church comprises decorated English chancel and Tudor nave, aisle, and tower; is in good condition; and contains two elaborate alabaster altar-tombs, of the 15th century, to the Fitzherbert family. There are an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £20.

Norbury through time

Norbury is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norbury in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4126

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norbury ".