In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dolwyddelan like this:
DOLWYDDELAN, a village and a parish in the district of Llanrwst and county of Carnarvon. The village stands on the river Lledr, under Moel-Siabod, amid most sequestered mountainous environs, 7 miles SW of Llanrwst r. station; and has a post office under Conway. The parish comprises 14, 384 acres. Real property, £1, 974; of which £98 are in quarries. Pop., 811. Houses, 164. The property is all in one estate. Dolwyddelan Castle, crowning a rocky steep, and including a massive square tower, dates from the 5th or 6th century; belonged to the Welsh princes; was the birth-place of Llewelyn the Great; and passed to the Berkenets, Meredith ap Evan, and the Gwynnes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £107. Patron, Lord Willough-by de Eresby. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dolwyddelan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dolwyddelan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dolwyddelan, in Conwy and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dolwyddelan".