In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Sutton like this:
BISHOPS-SUTTON, a parish and a hundred in Hants. The parish is in Alresford district; lies on the river Arle, 1¼ mile SE of Alresford r. station, and 8½ SW of Alton; and has a post office under Alresford. Acres, 3,510. Real property, £3,916. Pop., 537. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. ...
The manor was early acquired by the Bishops of Winchester, and had a palace of theirs, which is now traceable in nothing but the alleged site of their kennel. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Ropley, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £350.* Patron, Mrs. Deacon. The church is partly Norman, partly early decorated; and contains a good brass of the 15th century.- The hundred is in Alton division, and consists of lower half, containing Bishops-Sutton and two other parishes, and upper half, containing Bighton and two other parishes. Acres, 10,373 and 6,992. Pop., 1,615 and 1,074. Houses, 320 and 203.
Bishops Sutton is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishops Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Sutton, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishops Sutton ".