Place:


Ashreigney  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashreigney like this:

ASHREIGNEY, or Ring's-ash, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; 4 miles WNW of Eggesford r. station, and 4 WSW of Chumleigh. Post Town, Chumleigh. Acres, 5,663. Real property, £3,718. Pop., 842. Houses, 169. The property is subdivided. The parish was a rendezvous of Fairfax in 1646, prior to his attack on Torrington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £335.* Patron, the Rev. J. T. Johnson. The church is an ancient structure, of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with low square tower. Charities, £10.

Ashreigney through time

Ashreigney is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashreigney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashreigney, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3900

Date accessed: 23rd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashreigney ".