Place:


Ashprington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashprington like this:

ASHPRINGTON, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; at the influx of the Hareborne river to the Dart, 2¾ miles SSE of Totnes r. station. Post Town, Totnes. Acres, 2,790. Real property, with Cornworthy, £7,768. Pop., 537. Houses, 121. The property is not much divided. Sharpham House, the seat of the Durant family, is an elegant edifice, and commands an extensive view along the Dart. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £537.* Patron, the Rev. G. T. Carwithen. The church is a neat old edifice, of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower. A dilapidated old chapel stands at Painsford.

Ashprington through time

Ashprington is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashprington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashprington, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3899

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashprington ".