Place:


South Petherwin  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Petherwin like this:

PETHERWIN (South), a parish, with a village, in Launceston district, Cornwall; 2½ miles S W of Launceston r. station. The parish comprises 5,064 acres. Post-town, Launceston. Real property, £5, 743. Pop.in 1851, 974; in 1861, 876. Houses, 178. The property is much subdivided. Trebursey belonged formerlyto the Gedyes, the Eliots, and the Howells; and belongs now toGurney, Esq. ...


Tresmarrow belonged to the Vyvyans, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Trewen, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £349.* Patron, the University of Oxford. The church stands on a hill, is good, and contains some old monuments. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians.

South Petherwin through time

South Petherwin is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Petherwin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Petherwin in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3873

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Petherwin ".