Place:


Preston Quarter  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Quarter like this:

PRESTON-QUARTER, a township in St. Bees parish, Cumberland; on the coast, suburban to Whitehaven, and partly within Whitehaven borough. It includes the village of Corkickle, and the hamlets of Ginns, Hutbank, High Harris, and Low Harris; and contains Whitehavenworkhouse, which had 297 inmates at the census of 1861. ...


Acres, 2, 699; of which 40 are water. Real property, £89, 981; of which £25,015 are in mines, £70 in quarries, £16, 928 in railways, and £670 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 5, 102; in 1861, 5, 471. Houses, 1,009. Pop. of the part within Whitehaven borough, 4, 778. Houses, 973.

Preston Quarter through time

Preston Quarter is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston Quarter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Quarter, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3783

Date accessed: 21st August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston Quarter ".