Place:


Ireby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ireby like this:

IREBY, a village, two townships, and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Ellen, near Caldbeck fells, 5 miles SSE of Leegate r. station, and 7 SSW of Wigton; is supposed by Camden to be the Arbeia of the Romans; was once a market town; and has now a post office under Wigton, and fairs on 21 Feb. ...


and 18 Oct. The townships are Low Ireby and High Ireby; and the former contains the village. Acres, 831 and 2, 701. Real property, £1, 810 and £1, 812. Pop., 337 and 128. Houses, 70 and 25. The parish consists of the two townships. The manor of Low Ireby belongs to F. L. B. Dykes, Esq.; and that of High Ireby, to Sir H. Vane-Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £64. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1847. There is a school with £10 a year from endowment.

Ireby through time

Ireby is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ireby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ireby, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3772

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ireby ".