Place:


Adlington  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adlington like this:

ADLINGTON, a township in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the river Bollin and the Northwestern railway, 5 miles N of Macclesfield. It has a station on the railway. Valuable mines of coal and flagstone are in the neighbourhood. Acres, 3,350. Real property, £7,583. Pop., 987. Houses, 187. Many of the inhabitants are silk-weavers. Adlington Hall is an old seat, and was taken, in 1645, by the Parliamentary forces, after a fourteen-days' siege. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Adlington through time

Adlington is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Adlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adlington, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3560

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Adlington ".