Place:


Tamworth  Warwickshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tamworth like this:

Tamworth, mun. bor., par., township, and market town, Staffordshire and Warwickshire, at the confluence of the Tame and the Anker, 6½ miles SE. of Lichfield, 22 miles SE. of Stafford, and 110 miles NW. of London by rail - par., 11,602 ac., pop. 14,096; township and bor., 200 ac., pop. 4891; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 news-papers. ...


Market-day, Saturday. Tamworth is a well built place, with a fine old church, a modernised Norman castle, and a monument to Sir Robert Peel. The mfrs. include tape, paper, smallwares, tanning, and brewing. Coal mines are worked in the vicinity, and the market gardens send produce to Birmingham. Tamworth was a place of importance in Saxon times; it was incorporated in the third year of Elizabeth, and sent 2 members to Parliament from a very early period until 1885.

Tamworth through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Tamworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Tamworth go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tamworth in Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/353

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tamworth ".