Place:


White Waltham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described White Waltham like this:

WALTHAM (White), a parish in Cookham district, Berks; 3 miles SW of Maidenhead r. station. It was formerly called Bury Town; and it includes W.-Abbotts. Post town, Maidenhead. Acres, 2,576. Real property, £5,680. Pop., 917. Houses, 179. The manor belongs to Vansittart, Esq. W. Grove, W. Place, Heywood Lodge, and Woolley Lodge, are chief residences. Roman coins, tiles, and other relics have been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Shottesbrook. The church was restored in 1869. There are an Independent chapel and a national school. Hearne the antiquary was a native.

White Waltham through time

White Waltham is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about White Waltham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of White Waltham, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3402

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " White Waltham ".