Place:


Compton  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton like this:

COMPTON, a parish in Guildford district, Surrey; under Hogs Back hill, near the Alton and the Godalming railways, 3½ miles SW by W of Guildford. It has a post office under Guildford. Acres, 1, 971. Real property, £3, 216. Pop., 502. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor was early annexed to the honour of Windsor, but soon divided into several parts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £380.* Patron, J. M. Molyneux. The church is late Norman, with additions down to debased perpendicular; has a chapel over the chancel; and was recently repaired. Charities, £13.

Compton through time

Compton is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3258

Date accessed: 18th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton ".