Place:


Sydmonton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sydmonton like this:

SIDMONTON, or Sydmonton, a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants; 3 miles W by S of Kingsclere, and 6½ S by E of Newbury r. station. Post town, Kingsclere, under Newbury. Acres, 4,470. Real property, £1,832. Pop., 149. Houses, 30. The manor belonged to Romsey abbey; and went, at the dissolution, to the Kingsmills. S. Common is a meet for the Craven hounds. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Echinswell, in the diocese of Winchester. The church has a Norman chancel arch.

Sydmonton through time

Sydmonton is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sydmonton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sydmonton, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3256

Date accessed: 19th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sydmonton ".