Place:


Blunham  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blunham like this:

BLUNHAM, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Ivel, near the Cambridge and Bedford and the Great Northern railways, 6½ miles E of Bedford; and has a station on the former railway, and a post office under St. Neot's. It was once a market-town. ...


Pop., 647. Houses, 147. The parish includes also the hamlet of Muggerhanger. Acres, 3,300. Real property, £7,266. Pop., 1,150. Houses, 243. The property is much subdivided. Blunham House and Blunham Park are chief residences; and the former is the seat of SirG. Payne, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £731.* Patron, Countess-Cowper. The church is Norman and good. The vicarage of Muggerhanger is a separate benefice. There are two dissenting chapels, a national school for boys, and an industrial school for girls.

Blunham through time

Blunham is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blunham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blunham in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3183

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blunham ".