In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Betws Abergele like this:
BETTWS-ABERGELE, or Bettws-yn-Rhos, a hamlet and a parish in St. Asaph district, Denbigh. The hamlet stands 3½ miles SW of Abergele r. station, and 9 W of St. Asaph; has a post office, of the name of BettwsAbergele, under Rhyl; and is occasionally a seat of petty sessions. The parish includes the townships of Beniarth, Bodlyman, Cilcen, Denhenfryn, Maesgwig, Tai, Trellan, and Trofarth. Acres, 6,262. Real property, £3,720. Pop., 838. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. The surface lies high; is to a great extent uncultivated; and commands, from some points, grand views of the coast and the sea. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £399.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good. There are four dissenting chapels, and an endowed school with £44 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Betws Abergele has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Betws Abergele and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Betws Abergele, in Conwy and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Betws Abergele".