Place:


Lavendon  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lavendon like this:

LAVENDON, a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands 1 mile W of the river Ouse, at the boundary with Beds, 2½ miles NE of Olney, and 6½ W of Oakley r. station; was once a market town; has still a fair on the second Tuesday before Easter; and has a postal letter box under Newport-Pagnell. ...


The parish comprises 2, 320 acres. Real property, £3, 391. Pop., 820. Houses, 182. The property is divided among a few. The Grange is the seat of B. S. Brookes, Esq. A premonstratensian canonry was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by John de Bidun; and was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Edmund Peckham. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Cold-Brafield, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £284. * Patron, the Rev. W. Tomkins. The church is partly Saxon, partly of later date; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; was recently restored, at a cost of £800; and contains four piscinæ. There are a national school, and church lands £32.

Lavendon through time

Lavendon is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lavendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lavendon, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3063

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lavendon ".