Place:


Eggleston  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eggleston like this:

EGGLESTONE, a chapelry in Middleton-in-Teesdale parish, Durham; on the verge of the county, at the river Tees, 5½ miles NW by N of Barnard-Castle. It has a post office under Darlington. Acres, 7, 919. Real property, £28, 807; of which £26, 177 are in mines, and £20 in quarries. ...


Pop., 788. Houses, 151. The manor, with Egglestone Hall, belongs to the Hutchinsons. Much of the surface is hill and moor. Lead mines are worked to a great extent; are said to have been in operation from the time of Henry VI.; and probably were known to the Romans. Nemal-edge, near Egglestone Hall, commands a fine view, and has a cromlech. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £100.* Patron, the Rector of Middleton. A new church was built in 1869. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a mechanics' institute. Charities, £13. .

Eggleston through time

Eggleston is now part of Teesdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teesdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eggleston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eggleston, in Teesdale and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3006

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eggleston ".