Place:


St Mabyn  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Mabyn like this:

MABYN (ST.), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bodmin district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles WNW of the river Camel, 4 E by N of Wadebridge, and 8 NNW of Bodmin-Road r. station; and has a post office under Bodmin, and a fair on 14 Feb. The parish comprises 4,067 acres. Real property, £5,200. ...


Pop., 714. Houses, 153. Colquite was the seat of the Marneys. Tredeathy is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £712.* Patron, Viscount Falmouth. The church is ancient but good; has a very lofty pinnacled tower; and contains some old monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £6. Peters, the author of a "Dissertation on Homer and Job, ''was rector.- The subdistrict contains also six other parishes. Acres, 28,569. Pop., 3,085. Houses, 636.

St Mabyn through time

St Mabyn is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Mabyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Mabyn in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2904

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Mabyn ".