Place:


Brentwood  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brentwood like this:

BRENTWOOD, a small town, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Billericay district, Essex. The town stands adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, near Watlingstreet, 5¾ miles NE by E of Romford. Its name is a corruption of Burnt-Wood; and was derived from the burning, long ago, of a circumjacent forest. ...


Some Roman antiquities have been found in it. The town was, at one time, a seat of assizes; and has of late been extended and improved. The town hall was built in 1864, and is in the Italian style, with Corinthian portico. The county lunatic asylum is an edifice in the Tudor style. The grammar school was founded in 1557, by Sir Anthony Browne; and has an endowed income of £1,532. The old church is early English; was built in 1221; and is now used for a national school. The new church is a Gothic structure, with a handsome square tower; and was built in 1835. The Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1861; is formed of Kentish rag, with Bath stone facings; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower and spire 110 feet high; and was a gift of Lord Petre, whose seat near Ingrave is about 2 miles to the S. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. The town has a head post office,† a railway-station with telegraph, a banking office, and two chief inns; and is a seat of petty sessions. The weekly market has ceased; but fairs are held on 18 July and 15 Oct. Pop., 2,811. Houses, 532.—The chapelry includes the town; and is in South Weald parish. Acres, 730. Real property, £9,610. Pop., 3,093. Houses, 533. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £124.* Patron,T. Tower, Esq.-The subdistrict contains six parishes. Acres, 14,438. Pop., 8,167. Houses, 1,373.

Brentwood through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Brentwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Brentwood go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brentwood in Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/288

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brentwood ".