Place:


Moggerhanger  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moggerhanger like this:

MOGGERHANGER, or MUGGERHANGER, a village and a chapelry in Blunham parish, Beds. The village stands 1 mile SSW of Blunham r-station, 1¼ mile W of the river Ivel, and 4½ NW by N of Biggleswade; and has a post office under St. Neots. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Charlton, and was constituted in 1860. ...


Pop., 503. Houses, 96. Moggerhanger House is the seat of F. Dawkins, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £100. Patron, F. Dawkins, Esq. The church was built in 1861, by the late Mrs. Dawkins, as a memorial to her deceased husband, the Rev. E. H. Dawkins; is in the early Norman style, of Kempston stone and Silsoe red sandstone, with pillars of Ancaster stone; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and apsidal chancel, with a central tower; and contains a splendid brass monument to the Rev. E. H. Dawkins, over his remains.

Moggerhanger through time

Moggerhanger is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moggerhanger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moggerhanger in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2875

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moggerhanger ".