Place:


Glen Dhu  Sutherland

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Glen Dhu like this:

Glendhu, a glen and a sea-loch in the S of Eddrachillis parish, W Sutherland. The glen takes down a rivulet, issuing from Loch Strath nan Asinnteach (5 ½ x 1 furl.; 870 feet above sea-level), and running 2 1/8 miles west-by-northward to the head of the sea-loch; it is flanked, on the S side, by Ben Leoid (2597 feet). ...


Loch Glendhu extends 2 5/8 miles westward into junction with Loch Glencoul, forming with that loch the head of Kylesku, measures from 1 ¾ to 4 ½ furlongs in breadth; and is flanked by steep hills 1700 feet high. It has great depth of water; and is so frequented by herring-shoals that no less than £30,000 worth of herrings have been caught in it in the course of a year.—Ord. Sur., shs. 108, 107, 1880-81.

Additional information about this locality is available for Eddrachillis

Glen Dhu through time

Glen Dhu is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glen Dhu itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glen Dhu, in Highland and Sutherland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26983

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glen Dhu ".