Place:


Winterton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterton like this:

WINTERTON, a parish, with a village, in Flegg district, Norfolk; on the coast, 8 miles N by W of Yarmouth r. station. It had once a market and a fair; and it gives the title of Earl to the family of Turnour. Post town, Yarmouth. Acres, 1,515; of which 220 are water. Real property, £1,648. ...


Pop., 682. Houses, 156. The manor belongs to the Earl of Winterton. Hill house is the seat of W. B. Hume, Esq. W. light house stands on elevated ground; was erected in 1867; and shows a fixed light, visible at the distance of 14 miles. There are a considerable fishery, and a coastguard station. The living is a rectory, united with East Somerton, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £540.* Patron, the Rev. W. Green. The church is old but good; and has an embattled tower, 120 feet high. There is a national school.

Winterton through time

Winterton is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterton, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2627

Date accessed: 19th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winterton ".