Place:


Port St Mary  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Port St Mary like this:

PORT-ST. MARY, a village in Kirk-Rushen parish, Isle of Man: on the W side of Poolvash bay, 4½ miles Wby S of Castletown. It was originally called Purt-noo-Moirrey; is now sometimes called Port-le-Murray: has a post-office‡ under Douglas, Isle of Man, a good hotel, a school-house used as a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan chapel, and a small harbour dry at low water; and carrieson extensive fishing and considerable exports of agricultural produce and lime. Pop., 486.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port St Mary, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26264

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port St Mary ".