Place:


Whicham  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whicham like this:

WHICHAM, a parish in Bootle district, Cumberland; around Silecroft r. station, and 8 miles SW of Broughton-in-Furness. Post town, Holborn-Hill, under Ulverstone. Acres, 7,502; of which 102 are foreshore. Real property, £2,411. Pop., 327. Houses, 63. The property is much subdivided. Nearly two-thirds of the land are moorish waste. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £260.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good; and there is an endowed school with £15 a year.

Whicham through time

Whicham is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whicham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whicham, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2590

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whicham ".